Health coverage in Azad Jammu & Kashmir is still inadequate. There are approximately 2620 hospital beds available in the area averaging one bed per 1738 people. The total number of doctors is 1015 out of which there are 58 Health Managers, 252 specialists, 76 Dental Surgeons and 629 Medical Officers. There is a ratio of 0.05 Per 1000 Population in respect of specialist, 0.14 in respect Medical Officers of and 0.02 in respect of Dentists Surgeon.
The mortality rates of infants and mothers are still higher; IMR is 62/1000, MMR, 201/100000 LB, GR is 2.41%per. (Source: DHIS AJK)
During the reporting period remarkable progress had been made in all the existing programs. The Health Package 2017 presented to PM AJ&K on 20 Jan 2017. Some innovative programs thought-out and launched first ever in the history of AJ&K at different level of health services offered to the people of AJ&K as per following details:
- Primary Health care
- Secondary Health care
- Tertiary Healthcare
Establishment of New Hospitals
Federal Govt. /Govt. of AJK approved establishment of new hospitals in different Districts and sub Districts of AJK as per following details:
Annual Development Plan
- 50 bed Hospital at Bimber
- 150 bed hospital at Kahutta
- Addition of 200 beds in General hospital Rawalakot.
- Addition of 150 beds in Divisional Headquarter Hospital Mirpur.
KFW German development Bank Support
- RBC Muzaffarabad
- DHQ Hospital Bagh
- THQ Hospital Kahutta
- Addition of Infrastructure at AIMS Hospital Muzaffarabad and provision of Equipments; CT scan and MRI Machine.
Federal Govt. Funded Hospital (Approved)
- 250 Bed hospital Mzd
- 100 bed hosp at Rawalakot
- 100 bed hosp at Athmuqam
- 50 bed hosp at lepa
- 100 bed hosp at kotli: land acquired and construction likely to be started shortly.
Case regarding revision of TO&E of CMH Mzd & CMH Rawalkot has been taken up with Med Directorate.
Following legislations have been passed from AJK legislative Assembly by the efforts of DoH team:
- Approval for implementation of PPRA Rules in AJK through a bill passed by legislative assembly
- AJK Family Planning and primary Health care employees (Regularization and Standardization Act 2017).
- Govt. approval of regulation for implementation of Dengue Control Programme in AJK.
- Health Care Commission Act under vetting by Law Department.
Preparedness for Disaster Management
Director Health Services (KA&GB) in coordination with AJ&K health department.
- Reserve Medical Stores for natural calamity/disaster have been procured and during escalation on LOC medical stores will be issued to Army Field Med Units and Civil medical setups of tactical importance.
- All DHOs have been instructed to make liaison with CO of concerned Army Med Unit located in their area of responsibility.
- Plan for provision of medicine /equipments, HR and Ambulances during escalation at LOC prepared and implemented successfully.
- Contingency plan for health care of IDPs in evacuation camps has been developed in context with volatile with situation along LOC.